Friday, January 30, 2009

Looking for Work

For the past three weeks I've been in Washington, DC looking for work. Where have I been looking? Under rocks, trash can lids, and newspapers left on the Metro - It seems that I may have more luck if I used this method.
(Why DC? Two years ago I served as an Intern with Senator Thad Cochran, R-MS. I worked with his staff and lived in DC for five months. I really enjoyed my experience and knew that one day I would return.)


Now I have returned, and am trying to get a job on 'The Hill,' as they say. I am interested in serving with a Democratic, possibly moderate Republican, Representative, Senator, Committee, or non-partisan Congressional agency. I am qualified for two positions: Staff Assistant and Legislative Correspondent. There are, however, three problems with the job search process on the Hill: connections, persistence, and timing.

On the first, I have connections. Through my work with Cochran's office and a top-tier Senate Campaign this past Fall, I have built relationships with several individuals on the inside. On the second, my ability to be persistent is limited. I have a modest savings that would not allow me to move to DC without, at least, acquiring a part-time job. On the third, timing is a mix of Lady Fortune and my level of persistence. Ms. Fortune would not be as much of a bitch if I planned on sticking around for a while.

This Monday I leave with Drew, whom I drove with here. I will not leave with my head down, but I will leave with a new perspective on the process.  I plan to continue my DC job search, but will need to make and save more money for a permanent move. I will report more on the details of my travails throughout the weekend.


1 comment:

Jbs said...

keep the faith basil buddy and/or join me down here for some cheap travel.