Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pursuit of Happiness

On Friday I moved back to Cleveland, MS and the Mississippi Delta.  I did this because I accepted two part-time jobs with the Delta Health Alliance as a research assistant.  The first is on an electronic health systems study, and the second is on an obesity study.  I work from home to read and write, in Stoneville, MS (a thirty minute drive) about one to two days a week to meet with colleagues, and in various locations and times in Humphreys, Leflore, Sunflower, and Washington Counties to collect data or facilitate focus groups.  I will work in this capacity until July, when I may be offered a full-time position with DHA or move on to other employment opportunities.  

My job search in DC, however, is still ongoing.  I now have five more months to acquire new leads and expand my network.  I am also looking for policy/political work in Jackson, MS.  I am not as connected or as knowledgeable in any other state, so I may as well stay in Mississippi and attempt to contribute to its development.  Who knows what opportunities will be available over the next few months?  Who knows?  I realize more and more each day that I am really just along for the ride. 

I have reflected greatly on the process that I started around Thanksgiving: leave Mississippi and the South for good and move to Washington, DC to find a decent entry-level job on which to build a beautiful career. Things did not go according to plan, but probably for good reason.  While I am not in DC now, that doesn't mean that I won't get there eventually.  I tried and will continue to try.  But the lesson that I have learned throughout the process is this: I need to understand happiness before I pursue it.

More on that later.

No comments: