Sunday, February 15, 2009

(Not My First) Encounter with a Racist

I visited a local restaurant this evening to have a beer or two and listen to some music. I sat at the bar, well clad, and enjoyed myself.

Then a white man sat down beside me.

He asked me if I was from around here. (Wonder what prompted him to say that? I know and don't know at the same time.) I said yes. I told the man that I went to school and now work here. He smirked and rephrased the question: he asked me if I had lived in cleveland my whole life.  I said no. He smirked again. 

He then asked me what I thought of our president. I knew where he was getting at. I did what I shouldn't have: I played along. In a skeptical way I said that I didn't know, and asked for his opinion. He didn't disappoint. He called obama the 'nigger' president, and thought things were going to hell.  

The conversation continued accordingly.

I then left to go to the restroom (I didn't have to go) and returned to sit at the other end of the bar.

2 comments:

Jbs said...

hey basil buddy...remember one thing in this life if anything and make them move to the other end of the bar...they are in the voting minority...don´t give him another chance to talk like that.

ryan said...

so true.